Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Relationship status: it's complicated


No, I’m not talking about my real relationship status, although I guess they maybe could fall under the same category (bleak…). No, I’m talking about my relationship status with food and exercise. Yes, I understand what I should (grilled chicken, broccoli, etc.) and should not eat (cookies, pastas, chips, etc. etc.) and activities I should (walk, run, get off my lazy tail) and likewise should not do (sitting in my bed with spaghetti, chips & salsa, and Netflix Watch Instantly for instance).

While in college, I was not the best “worker outer”. Lamb and I walked a good bit, and as long as we stayed in a routine, things were just hunky dory. But, then it would rain, or I’d have to work, or she’d have class, and we’d get out of the routine and then 4 weeks later we’re talking about how we “really should get back to walking everyday”. And so we would start again, do good for a week, and then start the cycle all over again.

So then I had this brilliant idea! After college I was gonna be sooo bored that all I would do was eat right, live right, and workout, and life would be fabulous and I’d be a size 2 again! Bahahahaha, that has yet to happen. I was proactive for about a month. I did a boot camp, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and the lady kicked my butt 2 days a week, but that got quite expensive so I quit that. Then I enjoyed jazzercise (no funny snickering allowed people, it really was fun and good exercise), and I LOVED it! I went 3-5 days a week and normally stayed for 2 full hours. But then my membership for the summer ended and I didn’t go anymore.

So here it is October. There are good things that happened. I haven’t gained weight (I actually have lost 4 pounds! Yippee), but I don’t “feel” healthy. I eat an entire box of Velveeta for dinner sometimes (yes I know I know). I could survive of Stouffers Mac and Cheese if my Citizen jeans would just expand with me (they’re my favorite and my measurement tool. Sometimes they aren’t very friendly. Pretty sure this morning as I was doing lunges to stretch them out, we were having choice words), and if my wallet would allow. But there are a lot of “ifs” in that sentence.

So what now? Well, I am not a long term kind of girl. I do much better with short run plans or goals because I remember them. The long term things I forget about after a month. So here’s my short term plan: I am gonna be much healthier at Christmas. Notice I didn’t say “weigh less” because honestly weight is like age: it’s just a number. My mom is 3080 and in better shape than me, and that’s just sad (yes, I may be a tad jealous, especially because she doesn’t even work out!!!). So there’s the plan and here goes! I’ll keep you up to date!

PS: anyone who would like to buy me new walking shoes, feel free. These are the ones I want (size 5.5):

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/newbalanceWW850GP.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment