Wednesday, September 22, 2010

When I grow up I want to be....Rachel?

For those of you who don't know, I am the accompanist for the kids choir grades 1-3 at the church I go to in "big girl" city. I know what you're thinking, "you don't even like kids!!!" and although that may be true of some, these kids I like. There are about 40 kids in this group and they are not your average choir screamers. The ones that aren't enrolled in $80 an hour voice lessons (and believe me, many of them are) are in EVERY play/musical/drama east of, well Nevada.These munchkins are incredible.

Now I know you're never supposed to pick favorites, but since I'm just the pianist, I think I'm allowed to. This one little girl is my favorite and I'll tell you why. She always sits on the front row, second from the right (if you're looking at her) and is always ten minutes early. She's early because she wants THAT seat, and she made sure to tell me that. Her mom drops her off at the door and no lie tells her "to sing fabulously!" Does that not sound just like something I would say??!! So in she marches to her self-designated chair, opening her hymnal and sits with perfect posture until it's time to sing. Yall, the girl can read music, and she's in the 3rd grade!!! She knows every word to every song, every rhythm and every syncopated note (and she isn't scared to correct the people around her either). When she stands up to sing, I'm waiting for her to bust out exaggerated arm motions like Galenda from Wicked (and yes, I spelled that correctly!)

For those of you who are fellow GLEE-ers (yep I made that up), you are probably already imagining Rachel. For those of you who don't watch GLEE, get right while there's still time!!!!!



M is exactly like Rachel. Perfectly dressed with skirts and socks up to her knees (NO LIE YALL, and IN THE SUMMER!!!!) When I was little I wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, I even had the shoes and the dress (my mom is a real doll for getting me those). Wonder if my musical midget friend wants to be Rachel when she grows up?!?! I think I'll ask her! Hehe! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment