Thursday, September 30, 2010

People say the darndest things...

Yes I know, that's probably not the way you spell it, but I think you all get the point.
Sometimes, someone will say something and you literally look around to make sure they are indeed talking to you because what they just said is not applicable to your life in any way, shape, or form. That happened to me last night.

So I’m at my kiddie choir practice which already provides for a jolly good time. This Sunday in service the happy hypers are singing in the 8:45 service (aka, I expect you all to be there in support of me getting out of my box, plus my ensemble is also singing at the 10 and 11:15 service, just a plug) so we of course had to practice in the “big church”. Now for those of you who aren’t familiar with the church, it’s a mouse maze esk setup. There is literally a hallway called “Main Street” because it is so freaking long and runs the entire length of the church. That has nothing to do with where I was going with this story, but I love useless info sometimes. ANYWAYZ, we took a pilgrimage to the sanctuary with 40ish kids.

Now, I am a fan of lines. I like the order of them and the ease of which you can keep up with everyone. Last night I was in the middle of the line and things were going just fabulously and then WHAM, everything changes. I hear a ruckus behind me and then realize one kid has fallen, then when he fell he hit another kid, who fell into the other kid, etc etc etc (add 4 more kids) and then that kid fell into the wall. As I retrace the events leading up to this, I still can’t figure out what happened but boy did I laugh. OUT LOUD. AT.THE.KIDS. I couldn’t help it. I felt like a terrible person, but when people fall, regardless of age, I crack up. I did quit laughing long enough to help the kiddies up off the ground and back on our way. Needless the say the mother volunteers judged me for my unorganized section of the line. Issues, I haz them.

So we finally get to the sanctuary and as the leader is giving instructions kids are running wildly throughout. Well I had enough. I started rounding up kids like cattle, placing them on steps, and told them if they moved from that spot, I’d wave to them from the stage on Sunday because they weren’t gonna be singing (harsh I know, but some of the small people are fierce brats). NO ONE MOVED the entire practice, and it was heavenly.

After it was over and all the devils angels had been picked up by their parent’s one of the leaders said, “I’m so glad you are here to help us! You are so good with the kids! You have that motherly behavior and tone and the kids just love you!!!” I thought, boy has this lady lost it big time. I once made a kid cry because I told her I was gonna take her seat if she got out of it one more time. I feel like that mean guy off Chitti Chitti Bang Bang most days, but to hear I have a “motherly” side, that’s a new one. Not that I wasn’t flattered, I mean yeah, duh. But I still had to laugh, again OUT LOUD.

People say the funniest things sometimes.

Yay for the almost weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment