Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Try This Tuesday: Chicken Spaghetti!

My husband says we are not, but I've felt like we are in a food "funk" recently. Know what I mean? We fix the same meals every week. Andrew said "but I like all those things!", which is sweet, but I think pregnancy has me wanting to change everything. I've already rearranged the living room furniture, emptied out the dining room to become the nursery, and have my eye on the bedroom (honey, don't freak out). 

So, each week I'm going to try out one recipe & share it with all of you! I promise I'll only post things that at least one of us liked. My taste buds are a little off, so I'm not a great judge of food here recently. The cheap Kraft mac & cheese used to be my FAVE, but now it's kinda blek...

The other night I made chicken spaghetti. My husband is not a fan of red sauces so when I mentioned spaghetti I got a look, but I reassured him that it was cheese instead of tomato.

I served this meal with Texas Toast (b/c mama is loving some bread right now), but it really is good by itself. 

Ingredients (serves 6-7)
3-4 medium sized chicken tenderloins or 2 chicken breast  (I only buy frozen b/c chicken freaks me out) 
1 can Rotel, original or with green chiles
1/2 Velveeta cheese block, melted (I bought the 2% to save calories, but I would probably just stick to the regular)
1 cup frozen peas (or veggie of your choice)
1/2 box of spaghetti noodles
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese




Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

1. Boil your chicken until cooked all the way through. I am always cautious and boil mine at least 30 minutes. Probably excessive, but again, chicken. After the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot. There will most likely be a film on the top of the water, try to spoon that out too. 



2. Add your pasta to the chicken water & cook per the directions on the package.
3. While pasta is cooking shred the chicken and mix in the rest of the ingredients. I dumped in my peas frozen b/c I knew the oven time would cook them enough. 
4. Hire a handy assistant. Mine is super cute.



5. Drain pasta & add to sauce mixture, stir. Pour the entire mixture into a sprayed casserole dish (I love this dish that we got for a wedding present). Spread shredded cheese on top.
6. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. 
7. Remove & enjoy!



Overall for me, it wasn't my most favorite thing, but again, I'm not the best judge right now. It has only things I loved pre-pregnancy, so I'm sure come December I'll be singing a different tune. Andrew really enjoyed it, and he's got pretty refined food tastes, so overall, I'd say it was a win!

Much love!


No comments:

Post a Comment