Thursday, November 4, 2010

What I'm thinking....

I’m currently reading a book called “A Man Worth Waiting For: How to Avoid a Bozo” and in the book, the author lays out her opinion about the types of men that Christian women should look for. And so many things she says, I’m like “duh liz, you know this stuff” but then I look back, 6 months to a year, and see I’ve done things or settled for those guys that she calls Bozos. And then I could just kick myself.

One of the things she outlines I being the woman that deserves a Godly man. You can’t expect to be able to get this wonderful man you don’t truly believe you deserve that, and that he deserves someone like you.

She uses Proverbs 31 to illustrate what I, as a woman, should be in order to be what God wants me to be. And this isn’t just as a future wife or mother, it’s also as a child of God.

So let’s unpack some of the key futures in P31 that I see. God read the chapter and then these will make much more sense. This is my own person translation of the verses keep in mind.

1. A Godly woman is willing to work and serve. As a wife, she does things for her husband and her children. My mom was an excellent example growing up of being willing to serve. My mom did everything she could to let us know that we were priority for her through her actions.
2. Provides for those who are under her care. That doesn’t necessarily mean that she works outside the home, bc a lot of great moms don’t work outside the home, and in the same breath, there are a lot of wives without children that don’t work. But the mom/wife works to make sure her children are always fed, clothed, and to school. She provides those things for them.
3. Strong. Emotionally and physically. She doesn’t have to be able to lift a bus, but she doesn’t let the weight of the world seem heavy on her shoulders. She is there for those in her life when they need her emotionally, and she is rock strong.
4. Dignified. NOT haughty or acting like the world owes her something, but demands respect and acts in a respectable manner both in actions and in tone.

5. Keeps her house in order. This one confuses me. Is God saying that if your house is a mess that you’re not a Godly woman? I don’t think that’s it. But one way to look at it is this: If God blessed you with something wonderful (Duh, your house and all that’s in it), don’t you think it would be only fair for you to keep it clean? Be proud of what you have and always keep it at its best.
6. Fears the Lord. This is the most important. Because if you do this one, all the others will fall into place. God will give you a willing spirit, will provide for you and your family, will give you strength to face anything, we give you a sense of dignity, and place order in your life. And with all of that together, it is no wonderful that God says you will be “worthy of praise”.

Yay for Wonderful Women’s Wednesday!! Do something nice for someone!

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment