Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hang on a sec while I cry…


Today my gorgeous little sister turns 11 (GASP)!!!!

I was remembering this morning exactly how this day went 11 years ago. It was a Thursday. Well actually it started on Wednesday night. We were in GA’s at church (for those of you non-baptists, GA’s is Girls in Action! Tadah!) and my mom was teaching that night, of course. Well every 5 minutes or so she would get up, say she needed to go to the bathroom, which, if you’ve ever been around a pregnant lady, constant bathroom visits are pretty much the norm, and then come back and continue teaching.

Even being the inquisitive girl I was, and really good at noticing things, I still didn’t pick up on anything. And honestly, neither did mom.

So we went home that night all normal smormal. Got up the next morning, and mom donned her red matching suit (she had two outfits there are the end. They were just alike except one was red and one was purple. Thank you MiMi maternity), got us kids up and ready for school, took us to school, then headed to work.

Now from there, I don’t know what she did, but I do know I got out of school that day and went to Gamma’s house and immediately told her that “my mom’s at the hospital having her baby.” Now, no one had called Gamma yet, no one had called the school, mom hadn’t even called dad yet. But after much convincing I made Gamma call the hospital, and sure enough, mom had been admitted to the hospital about half an hour before. I just really knew in my heart that she was having Alexa THAT DAY.

Well Alexa was born that afternoon weighing 8 lbs 4 oz, and she was perfect. In every way she was perfect, at least to me. She was so little and cute and beautiful. Prettiest baby I’d ever seen. I know everyone thinks their baby is the prettiest, but she wrote the book on beautiful. I remember the first time I held her thinking there was no way I could ever love anything or anyone like I loved her. I didn’t put her down the whole first year of her life b/c I just literally couldn’t get enough of her. She was “my baby” and I made sure everyone knew it.

This morning when I called to sing Happy Birthday, I made up my own words and she just laughed. Her laugh is contagious. You hear her laugh and you can’t help but join in. I asked her if she was nervous about getting old and here’s how the conversation went:

Me- Are you scared about growing up and getting old?

Alexa- Nope, not at all.

Me- Why not? I’m scared about you getting old b/c that means I’m getting old.

Alexa- But you see, you and I are pretty, so getting old doesn’t scare us.

Me- (insert long pause) Who told you that you were so pretty huh?

Alexa- You did Sissy! You always tell me how pretty I am, and how you love me to the moon and back.

Me- Guess you’re right then!
So even if I never do anything else right for the rest of my life, I know that my favorite girl knows how much I love her, and that she is beautiful just like she is. She knows I’m always in her corner, and that I’d drop the world if it meant taking care of her. I wished and prayed for years that God would “just give me a sister” and He did. And I couldn’t be more thankful.

Happy Birthday Flow…can’t wait to get old (and prettier) with you.



Yay for Thankful Thursday! Do something nice for someone!

Much love!

1 comment: