Wednesday, October 6, 2010

You did what?!?!?!

This is an old story, but it is definitely worth re-telling because we’ve recently revisited the situation. We laugh now, but we definitely weren’t laughing when it happened.

For those of you who have ever had a husband, boyfriend, dad, etc. do something so stupid as a gift for you, your sister, your mom, etc., this story is in hopes that you’ll laugh and learn from it (if you just happen to be one of those stupid decision making guys).

My dad is a very smart man. He can fix anything and remembers everything. For the last 5 years or so he has been very wise. When it comes to gift giving occasions, he just calls me up (he freaks out about time so it’s normally at least 3 weeks in advance), asks me to find out what mom wants for her birthday, Christmas, anniversary, or Mother’s Day present, I’ll ask mom, she’ll think it’s sweet that dad put forth the effort, I’ll go buy the gift, wrap it, bring it home, give it to dad, he’ll pay me back, and he’ll give the gift to mom and she’ll think it’s wonderful. This is what NORMALLY happens. Let me interject that I LOVE doing this for Dad. Especially since my mom has very specific tastes and I am extremely familiar with them.  This is what NORMALLY happens.

My mom’s birthday is the beginning July.  Now granted, Dad was traveling quite a bit then, but he was still in the US.  The middle of June comes around, no call from Dad.  The end of June comes, still no call from Dad. Now it’s the first week of July and I haven’t heard from Dad.  I just assumed he had done something super sweet and bought mom a present on his own this time. WRONG!

The day of her birthday, Mom calls me up and I feel the fire darts through the phone. She is FUMING! I tell her happy birthday again and ask what’s wrong. Well she just erupted about what my dad had done. Come to find out, Dad had bought some of his employees gift cards for Copper River for a job well done. Well neither of the employees felt they could take them since Dad paid for them out of pocket so Dad decided it would be a good idea to just give them to mom, AS HER PRESENT! One, mom hates Copper River. Two, the gift cards had the guys names on them. Three, he told mom what happened! I couldn’t decide if I should laugh or cry or be angry or what!!! I was definitely at a loss for words, which doesn’t happen too often.

Well 2 weeks ago Dad called me up about getting something for Mom for their anniversary. See, Dad learned from his mistake! I bet he never again will allow a “gift giving” occasion to go by without calling me, because I’m sure mom gave him quite a fit for some time.

Since then, we have laughed about that situation quite a few times. We joke that we’re going to wrap up those gift cards and give them back to Dad for Christmas. Wouldn’t that be just hilarious?!?!

My parents will be celebrating their (count in head) 29th anniversary this year!!!! Everyone clap!!!
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! Love you and wish you 29 more years, plus some!





No comments:

Post a Comment